Dating gorham silver marks
To the east between the Vanbrugh and Maze Hill Gates is the site of a Roman villa or temple.
A small area of red paving tesserae protected by railings marks the spot.
It is recorded as Grenewic in 964, and as Grenawic in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle for 1013.
It is Grenviz in the Domesday Book of 1086, and Grenewych in the Taxatio Ecclesiastica of 1291.
Ultimately it was because the palace and its grounds were a royal possession that it was chosen as the site for Charles II's Royal Observatory, from which stemmed Greenwich's subsequent global role as originator of the modern Prime Meridian.
The town became a popular resort in the 18th century and many grand houses were built there, such as Vanbrugh Castle (1717) established on Maze Hill, next to the park.
It was excavated in 1902 and 300 coins were found dating from the emperors Claudius and Honorius to the 5th century.
This was excavated by the Channel 4 television programme Time Team in 1999, broadcast in 2000, The Roman road from London to Dover, Watling Street crossed the high ground to the south of Greenwich, through Blackheath.
It was renamed the Palace of Placentia or Pleasaunce by Henry VI's consort Margaret of Anjou after Humphrey's death.
The palace was completed and further enlarged by Edward IV, and in 1466 it was granted to his queen, Elizabeth.